Friday, April 10, 2009

Module 8: Non-Contiguous Cartograms





















The biggest problem I had with this map was the projection. If I applied the Robinson World projection, or any other world projections, prior to running the cartogram application, the cartogram output would be at such a large scale it was imperceptible on the small scale world map. I applied the GCS 84, ran the cartogram, then added the Robinson projection. The GCS 84 gives Alaska a stretched out look. The Robinson projection looks more like I expect the world to look. I was guessing on this legend as well. I used the 5 color divergent scheme here, too. So, I added 5 circles. They are only representative of circles that would fall in each division. I prefer the contiguous map. It makes more sense to me visually. In particular, the non-contiguous map is very confusing to look at without the further differentiation a color scheme provides. I made the circles slightly translucent to reveal the base map beneath. It's a bit gaudy looking.


1 comment:

  1. I think it is just the color scheme that you are using but I also prefer the other one. But if readers are not real familiar with the area you might opt for the something like this. More transparency with the darker colors would have helped as well...but overall the design is nice.

    ReplyDelete