Friday, March 20, 2009

Choropleth Map Part 2






















After coming up with an average population growth for each division, I followed the equal interval formula in the text and came up with a class interval of 4.74%, a high value of 29.6%, and a low value of 5.9%. Equal Interval was probably not the best classification method for this data. The 4th class break, 20.13 - 24.86, is not used. The growth in the mountain division is skewed by Nevada's 66% growth, which is more than twice that of any other mountain division member and, eight times a much as the division slowest growing state, Wyoming at 8.86%. The fact that the entire Northeast and Midwest fell into the first break created a uniformity that's visually unappealing. The grayscale was set manually by percentage in Illustrator. I scaled the divisions down to 75% and moved each around. Seperating each division looked so good on a classmate's blog I had to steal it.


1 comment:

  1. You guys are killin me with these separated regions and call outs... I tried to separate my regions but the spacing got all skilliwonkers. I dropped back and punted out of frustration.

    ReplyDelete